Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Celebrate your day of Birth!

Today is 7/27, Gavin's happy Birthday. He is the only one of my children that chose to be born on an airline date (727) and keep the Lee airline Legacy alive. I checked in to the hospital at 10:00 am and he was born at 1:06 pm, just 3 hours later at 8 lbs 5 oz. He was full term, and our after birth experience was different than most parents of children with Down's syndrome. Gavin was very healthy at birth, and did not present with the GI problems or heart issues many kids with Down's have. He has 2 simeon creases in the palms of his hands (one is a sign of retardation, although I've met a dentist with just one in each hand!) and so, things were inconclusive. We ordered tests to see if Down's would be confirmed, but the hospital either lost the order or didn't do the test. They didn't want to draw blood from the little guy until he had regained his birth weight, which was at 2 months. The diagnosis of Down's was then confirmed. Although we both suspected it, it was very hard to hear this news. I had even done some research online about Down's so I had some idea of the challenges.
At this point, as a parent, you have to have a complete paradigm change. Most of us grow up thinking about marrying, having children, enjoying retirement and growing old together. But, instead of this natural progression, now you have a child that will have tremendous needs even beyond the age of 18, and may always be in your care.
Will my child ever be able to be a part of society? Will he be able to have a job? A girlfriend? It is doubtful he will ever marry, and boys with Down's aren't able to have children. How will I care for him if my own health fails? Will he ever understand simple concepts, like making change for a dollar? Will he be able to read? to write? to cross the street safely by himself? Will he be able to tell me if someone is treating him poorly?
These are just a few of the things that go through your mind. You grieve for the perfect little baby you didn't have. This grief can be a strange thing. I remember being in the grocery store and seeing a mom with a new baby, so beautiful in every way. Why did you have the baby with special needs? Why didn't she??? So, you break down crying while waiting to check out with your Cheerios. This happens at other times, too. When you attend a wedding, knowing your child will never experience that joy. When you attend a High School graduation, wondering if your child will graduate. And when you see little children having a conversation with their mom or dad, telling them about their joys, sorrows, hopes and fears.
Please don't misunderstand! Gavin is a beautiful child, and shows the unconditional love that I know God has for each of us. I know that someday, in another life, he will be able to complete the sentences that escape him now. He will be able to marry and have children. He will be complete in every way.
He is free from the concerns and stresses that we all have. He has no concept of time. He has no fear. Of anything. Traffic, water, big dogs... He has no real concept of money, or budgeting. He has no real friends to please or lose.
He is Gavin. The kid that has been known to put a pullup on his head like a chef's hat during Church on Sunday. When he puts his arms around your neck and hugs you, there's only pure, unconditional love. In the past, the only words he could say were "Hi! Howaya? Great Job!"
At the end of this life, these are the words I hope my Savior has for me as I put my arms around his neck to give Him a big hug...

1 comment:

Tori Black said...

Laura, I love you. You are an inspiration. Thank you for sharing all the ups and downs through this blog. I wish I lived near you to be your babysitter...